Anisette Caramel Cookies
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 ½ to 3 teaspoons pure anise extract OR 3-6 tablespoons of anisette liqueur
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- pinch salt
- 4 anisette caramels
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
Make the cookies
In a large bowl, whisk together milk, oil, granulated sugar, eggs, and anise extract until well-combined. Add flour, baking powder, and salt, and mix with a wooden spoon until smooth. Set aside and let batter rest for 10-15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F with rack in the upper-middle position. Line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop cookie batter by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets, about 1 ½ inches apart.
Bake, one sheet at a time, for 10-12 minutes, until centers of cookies bounce back when gently pressed. The cookies should not brown. Remove from oven and let rest 2-3 minutes.
While cookies are still warm, remove from baking sheets by gently lifting each cookie while peeling back the parchment paper Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool before drizzling.
Make the caramel drizzle
Unwrap 4 caramels and place in a microwave safe bowl. Add 1 tablespoon heavy cream and place in microwave. Melt in 20 second increments, stirring each time until thoroughly combined. Allow to cool slightly and then drizzle over cookies.
Download the recipe card.
Cinnamon Caramel Hot Chocolate
- 1½ cups milk of choice
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 pinch ground cardamom
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 McCrea's Candies Cinnamon Clove caramels (one pillow pack)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. In a small bowl whisk together the cocoa powder, all of the spices, and salt (everything on the ingredients list except the milk).
- Pour half the milk into the saucepan and add in the cocoa powder mixture. Whisk until smooth and all the lumps are removed. Add the rest of the milk and whisk together until combined. Heat the hot chocolate mixture until very warm (but not boiling). Pour the hot chocolate into mugs
- To make the caramel drizzle, unwrap 5 caramels and place in a microwave safe bowl. Add 1 tablespoon heavy cream and place in microwave. Melt in 20 second increments, stirring each time until thoroughly combined. Allow to cool slightly and then drizzle over hot chocolate.