We make caramel so it should come as no surprise that food is our love language. Turns out we’re not alone in this. A recent study of 2,000 Americans found that 71% also said cooking food is their love language.
That’s because food incorporates all five senses. According to Patrick Wanis, Ph.D., a relationship and human behavior expert, food is a very powerful way of creating a connection and expressing love.
This fact is never truer for us then around holidays – especially Valentine’s Day. Valentine’s Day is all about the food. Candy gifts are big. So is cooking and sharing a meal with a loved one.
So, the McCrea’s team got together to create the ultimate Valentine’s Day dinner. It starts with a vegan bisque, moves on to pasta and salad and finishes with a Chocolate Lava Cake filled with (what else?) caramel.
Vegan Carrot Ginger Bisque
For the bisque:
For the cashew cream:
- For the cashew cream, in a food processor or high-speed blender, place cashews and pulse a few times to grind. Add lemon juice and salt. With the motor running, drizzle in water and process until completely smooth (which may take a few minutes), stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides of the bowl or blender jar.
- For the soup, in a large pot over medium, heat oil. Add onion, celery, and ginger, and sauté until onion is tender and translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in broth, carrots, potato, and curry powder, and bring to a boil. Decrease heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender (or a regular blender working in batches), blend until completely smooth. Place pot over low heat and cook, stirring often, until heated through. Stir in 1/3 cup of cashew cream.
- Top each bowl of bisque with a swirl of cashew cream before serving.
Seasonal Mixed Greens with Egg Mustard Dressing
(from Simon & Seafort’s restaurant)
- Separate hard-cooked eggs into whites and yolks.
- Chop whites.
- Mix yolks w mustard, vinegar, and sugar until smooth.
- Combine greens in a salad bowl, toss w egg dressing.
- Lightly mix in warm bacon drippings (yes, baby).
- Sprinkle top of salad w egg whites, bacon pieces, and green onions.
Pasta With Vodka Sauce
(from our friend Cathy Podeszewa)
- Cover bottom of pan w olive oil. Heat, then add red pepper, Italian Herbs, and garlic. Simmer until garlic browns slightly.
- Add vodka, simmer until it cooks away.
- Add tomatoes, cream, and cheese. Mix and simmer 10 – 15 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper when plating over pasta.
Salted Caramel Lava Cakes
(From Six Sisters Stuff)
- In a small pan over low heat, combine caramels, milk, and salt, stirring constantly until smooth. Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a microwave-safe bowl combine chocolate chips and butter. Microwave for 2 minutes and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in powdered sugar until combined.
- Add 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk, and whisk until combined.
- Add vanilla and flour and mix again.
- Generously spray four 1 cup oven-safe cups with cooking spray, and evenly fill with batter.
- Spoon a generous amount of caramel into each cup (reserve the rest of the caramel for serving).
- Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven for 13-15 minutes until the outer edges are set and the center is still soft.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes before inverting onto a plate drizzled with caramel sauce.